Published on March 25th, 2015 | by admin-bfcst in Events News Trust Announcements0
BFCST & WSB FANZINE CHARITY WALK TO BRADFORD CITY FC – 25th APRIL 2015
Barnsley Football Club Supporters’ Trust and the West Stand Bogs Fanzine are working together to walk 23.9 miles to Bradford City Football Club in memory of the 56 football fans who tragically never made it home on 11th May 1985.
When Bradford City host Barnsley on Saturday 25th April, it will be 30 years since a fire engulfed the main stand at Bradford, and this charity walk aims to raise money for the Plastic Surgery and Burns Research Unit, alongside local Barnsley charity Jaxon’s Gift. Jaxon’s Gift supports families in the region impacted by the death of a young child.
BFCST have had a long affiliation with Bradford City Football Club, both on and off the pitch, working in the past to organise a commemorative game between the clubs to celebrate Barnsley’s promotion to the Premier League. Paul Gallagher, Chairman of BFCST, commented ‘The Bradford City Fire will always go down as one of the saddest days in football history. Nobody should fail to make it home from a football match, and we’re honoured that ourselves and our fanzine are working together to make a difference for this anniversary. We’ve started the ball rolling on donations by contributing £400 from the proceeds of Redfearn’s Bar to the Plastic Surgery and Burns Research unit, and we encourage as many supporters as possible to get involved or make a donation to this great cause’.
West Stand Bogs is a relatively new, non profit making, fanzine only 18 months old, but thriving issue after issue and soaring in popularity with fans. Liam Dyson, co-founder of the fanzine, said ‘After organising a similar walk to Chesterfield earlier in the season and raising £8,500 for the Barnsley Churches Drop In charity, we’re delighted to be working with the Supporters’ Trust on this charity walk to not only support the Plastic Surgery and Burns Research Unit, but Jaxon’s Gift as well, a local charity, chosen by our readers as the charity they would like us to get behind. Hopefully we’ll get a good turn out. There’s likely to be some stiff legs at 3pm but it’s all worth it!’
All fans are invited to take part in the walk which will leave Oakwell at approximately 4am on Saturday 25th April, with donations being gratefully accepted at:
More information on the BFCST and West Stand Bogs can be found here:
For more information or images on BFCST please contact:
For more information or images on the West Stand Bogs Fanzine please contact:
About Barnsley Football Club Supporter’s Trust
- BFCST was formed by the merger of the Official Supporters’ Club and Supporters’ Society in 2005
- BFCST currently runs Redfearn’s Bar, the match day venue for families, run by the fans for the fans
- BFCST currently has 1500 members
- BFCST regularly runs events and fan engagement forums, and works with various football bodies to understand any changes that may affect fans in the modern game
About West Stand Bogs Fanzine
- West Stand Bogs was formed in 2013
- There have been 7 issues of the fanzine
- £16,000 has been raised for local charities through the proceeds of the fanzine
- Along with organising a charity walk to Chesterfield which raised £8.5k for charity, other fans’ initiatives and events have been organised or are being planned.